BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The iPhone Knows Where You've Been


Has Apple gone too far? Recently, two researchers found a"secret" file on the iPhone and iPad that can track user's location. This isn't just geotagging pictures and status updates. It tracks every move you make and even allows users to map it out. This has raised concerns for violating privacy rights, but a small paragraph in Apple's terms of use gives them permission to use this application. So the next time you go to click the "I have read and agree to the terms of use", you may want to actually read the terms of use.

Some users have had fun looking at all the places they have been. A few have even gone as far as posting the maps online. One advantage to this application would be if your iPhone or iPad is ever stolen or lost, you would be able to track it's exact location; but is it worth giving some of your privacy for? It's a little creepy to think that a phone can keep track of everywhere I go.

I think this is a little much. We are losing privacy more and more each day. People should at least have a choice when it comes to this. Having a small paragraph in something you know people don't really read anyway isn't really enough. I mean it does sound neat on paper but when you really think about it, it's a little scary to think that someone can pinpoint your exact location at any given time. I do use Foursquare as a fun way to interact and compete with friends but I chose when to check-in and tell people where I am. People should at least have a choice in the matter. So, is Apple intruding or is it not that big of a deal?

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/04/21/iphone.tracking.fun/index.html


2 comments:

jrpospy said...

I was really considering getting one of these "smart" phones. Not so much anymore. Not that I do anything questionable but I just do not agree with this because it invades people privacy. Maybe they are trying to make these phones too smart.

Jamario Gholston said...

I have an iPhone and i could track someone down, but i wouldn't do that. But there are people out there that will, and that is something very scary. I think apple might want to rethink about this technology.